Thursday, July 26, 2012

FOCUS ON THIS… WEEK # 11 ~ DELICIOUS

 

Did I ever mention that I am the Queen of Quick Meals?  Well…Now you know…  I am most famous for taking a time consuming recipe and turning it into E-A-S-Y…  Same ingredients…  Same flavor…  The end product might look different or it might not...

When I was a working gal, I sure didn’t want to spend a couple of hours in the kitchen after spending 8 hours in the office.  It didn’t take long to come up with shortcuts.  One example is Stuffed Peppers. Sure they look all pretty in the peppers, but what a lot of work!

My shortcut recipe is this:

Dice one red & one green bell pepper and one small onion.  Set aside. 

Brown a pound or so of ground beef.  Remove to a colander and allow excess grease to drain into a bowl with a paper towel in the bottom to make cleanup easy.

Select a large pan – your choice – I use a huge stainless steel skillet with metal handle so I can go straight from range top to oven in the same pan…  Then I dump drained ground beef, peppers and onions into the skillet.  Season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder to your taste.  Stir fry just long enough for your veggies to turn a brighter color…no more or you will lose your texture. 

spanish rice 002

Add 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes and 2 cups of water.

spanish rice 007

Bring to a boil, then add 1 cup of uncooked white rice.  Stir and allow to return to a boil.  As soon as the liquid reaches the second boil, cover the pan with aluminum foil, then the oven proof lid to seal the pan.  Pop the whole pan into the oven @ 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Done! 

All of the flavor of stuffed peppers.  A fraction of the preparation work/time.  Delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Darlene, this looks like some really good comfort food! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like stuffed peppers and/or spanish rice, this is the dish for you! We love it. We also love peppers, so sometimes I use 3 peppers...red, yellow & green. I like colorful food! LOL I also love hot/spicy food, so if it was just for me, I would also add jalapeno peppers, but I can't do that to my husband... LOL

    ReplyDelete